Where do I start my job search?
Do you have a “dream job”?
Use your existing networks
The Career Center
1. Do you have a “dream job”?
- Look up people in the roles that most interest you. What is their background? Do they have skills you can acquire or experiences you can pursue?
- conduct informational interviews
- ask about unpaid opportunities to volunteer or work at the organization/company that interests you
- connect with people whose work you admire and to whose careers you aspire on LinkedIn, follow them on social media to stay in touch
2. Use your existing networks
- The Alumni Association
- your on and off-campus communities – let friends and family know what you’re looking for
3. Be realistic
- Target organizations you would like to work for. If your values or politics don’t allign with a company, don’t apply for a job there
- Narrow your search realistically based on geography: where do you want to live?
- Consider finances: how much money do you need to earn?
- Do you have student loans to repay?
- Do you have a safety net? Can you afford to take an unpaid internship? The means to travel?
- What is the cost of living in the city in which you plan to live and work?
4. The Career Center
- Consult with a career counselor
- Use Handshake to search for jobs, internships and career events
- Attend the Career Center fairs